AR Assault Attorney
When you are accused of a crime like assault, you may feel stressed, frightened, and worried. AR Law Group offers you a team of experienced criminal attorneys to guide you through the court system and make sure your constitutional rights are protected. With a former prosecutor on our team, we have the experience to anticipate all of the State’s arguments, and we will prepare the strongest possible defense for you.
Types of Assault
Assault means that you have been accused of injuring or attempting to injure another person. You may also be charged with assault if you place another person in fear that they will be injured.
For your convenience, we can break down assault into different categories based on the method of contact, the use or non-use of weapons, the victim, and the surrounding circumstances. “Less serious” infractions are usually classified as simple assault, while “more serious” infractions are usually classified as aggravated assault.
- Simple Assault – This disorderly persons offense involves an attempt, sometimes through negligence, to cause bodily injury to another person or an attempt to make another person fear imminent bodily injury. Criminal penalties generally result in a fine and a jail.
- Aggravated Assault – Purposefully or knowingly causing bodily injury or attempting to cause injury to another person due to reckless behavior or with a deadly weapon usually constitutes aggravated assault. Simple assault involving the following victims may also rise to this level: law enforcement officers, firemen, first responders, school personnel, government employees, utility employees, and health care workers. Depending on the circumstances of the case, the general criminal exposure is a jail term of 18 months up to 10 years. The fines are far more significant, and the total sentence will depend on the seriousness of the case.
You may also be exposed to collateral consequences, including, but not limited to:
- Restitution to victims
- Driver’s license suspension
- Difficulty finding housing
- Inability to obtain employment
- Loss or denial of professional licenses
- Ineligibility for student financial aid
- Negative effects on your immigration status
An Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney Can Help You
AR Law Group is ready to defend you if you’ve been charged with assault. We have experience presenting successful defenses to these charges, including, but not limited to, successful Motions to Suppress Evidence, self-defense claims, and noncriminal downgrades.
If you’ve been charged with assault, you need an experienced team of criminal attorneys to defend your rights. Contact AR Law Group today for a free consultation. We will stand up for your rights and help protect your future.