AR Emancipation Lawyer

Emancipation is a legal process in which a minor becomes responsible for their own actions and financial situation. Instead of parents making decisions involving education, medicine, and finances, you may seek to have the responsibility yourself. There are many situations in which emancipation might be appropriate for you.

Becoming emancipated as a person under 18 is a legal process that takes time and resources. It can be difficult to achieve on your own. To learn more about emancipation and whether it may be right for you, contact a AR emancipation lawyer.

Understanding Emancipation

If you are a minor who wants to become independent of your parents, you will need court approval. That is because prior to 18 you do not have the legal rights you need to live entirely on your own. Emancipation is the time in which you significantly separate yourself from your parents by working or living independently or by marrying or going into the military. This means if you want to become emancipated as a minor, you must do so based on evidence that you currently are – or are capable of being – independent from your parents and responsible for your own actions and finances.

Many laws deal with the rights of children. It is necessary to shed light on the definition of a child, before dilating upon the topic at hand. According to Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, a child is defined as,

“A young human who is not yet an adult”

While the age of 18 is when you became an adult, turning 18 does not mean you are automatically free from your parents. You could be 20-years-old and still live in your parents’ home and be relying on your parents’ financial support. In this situation, though, legal emancipation proceedings are not necessary because you have the freedom as an adult to become independent on your own. For example, you can obtain full-time employment, sign a lease on an apartment, and move out of your parents’ home without their permission or involvement.

However, you may still become legally emancipated after the age of 18 if you are receiving child support. While a parent may still be paying child support to a 20-year-old who is attending college, parents are not required to pay support for you if you are emancipated, whatever your age.